Friday, May 06, 2005

raspberry pie at 70mph

yesterday i drove from new york to ohio. alone. today i drive from akron to milwaukee. maybe with occasional sister company. tomorrow i drive from wisconsin to ohio. alone. sunday i drive from ohio to new york. alone.

what have i learned in all this alone time? i would rather sing loud then sing well. i have a very immature sense of humor (scotrun... beaver valler... 150 reasons to shop... hee hee). and i can eat raspberry pie at 70mph with a fork. oh yeah, bitches. i got mad skills.

the reason from the tripping? grandfather's 75th birthday and mother's day (for mom and grandma).

the other night i discovered the cds for $2.99 or less page on half.com. i stocked up with all the albums i wanted in junior high but couldn't get because i was always grounded and my allowance was permanently suspended (weezer, green day, presidents of the united states of america, veruca salt, hole). but they haven't arrived yet. so i made the drive yesterday with the double disk set from amores perros. i got really good at translating one or two lines per song and singing those at the top of my lungs. while dancing behind the wheel, of course.

originally i was supposed to be driving with the fam today, asleep in the back of their car. but i have to make it back to the office for my last week. so i'm doing it solo. mom and i stopped at best buy for walkie talkies. i need a cb name, that's family safe, please. i grabbed some cds for the extra 16-18 hours. paid full price but got iggy pop, the pixies, and 80s mix, and a strip club mix (oh yes, they sell these at best buy).

norm (my car. she's a girl. a girl named norm. like the boy named sue. only cooler) and i will be back in new york sunday night, wired on caffeine with a stiff knee and swollen vocal cords. and maybe even a naughty truck stop story.

behave yourselves while i'm away. *wink*

6 Comments:

Blogger DementedPhotographer said...

I've always been rather fond of the word "widget" as a CB handle.

No earthly idea why. It just sounds cool, IMO.

Drive safe, my friend.

-G

5/06/2005 3:11 PM  
Blogger Librarian Babe said...

Junior high!?! I remember those bands from college! Gah! I feel old!

How about "Texas Red" for your handle since you'll be moving there soon and your hair is red.

Or for the more naughty there's always "New York Pink." ;-)

I can't leave my childhood CB handle here w/o giving away my real name. My dad had a CB and I got a kick out of using it on long car rides. lol It was the late 70's/early 80's and CBs were kinda hip. Or so I thought at age 8.

5/06/2005 8:41 PM  
Blogger sk8rn said...

What an awesome road trip post. I love that you "stocked up with all the albums [you] wanted in junior high but couldn't get because [you were] always grounded and [your]allowance was permanently suspended." I can totally relate. Though fortunately, I had a compassionate friend who taped all his favorite albums for me to keep me content. I also love that you translated brief lyrics to the amores perros soundtrack and sang them at the top of your lungs. Again, I can so relate. Though that movie disturbed me profoundly, so instead I'm working on memorizing "La Oreja de Van Gough" lyrics. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

5/06/2005 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you were near me! Well, sort of...

I do all those things on car rides too... music, dancing, eating, and changing my clothes and fixing my make up before I get where I'm going.

Ember

5/09/2005 2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, where did you get the raspberry pie?

It wasn't from the Essenhaus was it?

5/10/2005 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nadia, you're a fuckin' kid. I was in Law School then.

Thomas

5/10/2005 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home