Thursday, May 26, 2005

shove it in me

a mirena iud is now happily nestled in my uterus, with two little brown strings poking out of my cervix's os like a forked tongue (devil cervix, ha ha!).

i have had to fight for three years to get this iud. been through four obgyns, numerous professional consultations, hours of research, and two doses of emergency contraception.

during the insertion i experienced vasovagal syncope. when a certain part of my cervical nerves were stimulated i had hot flashes, became nauseaus and almost passed out. this is not uncommon and my obgyn and nurse (who have provided many iuds) knew exactly what was happening and took care of it professionally and efficiently. as soon as i started sweating (and the color apparently began draining from my lips) they asked if i was still with them. i said i was having hot flashes. "are you dizzy?" "a little" the nurse started fanning my face with my file (flapping like a gimp bird with adhd). the obgyn finished the insertion in under a minute (the whole thing took five) and got me a cup of water and wet towels for my wrists and neck and forehead. she also dragged over the trash bin because i was nauseas. i heaved some kix cereal and orange juice. they made me lie down for ten minutes, coming in every two to check on me. i was not allowed to try and stand without one of them in the room. by the end of the ten minutes, i was feeling better. i paid the receptionist and left the office with my mom.

unfortunately, i couldn't immediately get a seat on the train home and started getting dizzy again, but someone near finally got off at montrose and my mom snagged the seat, threatening to clobber anyone that got in the way of her baby.

when i got home i took an aleve to help with the cramps (i've had worse period cramps, but they were not pleasant) and took a nap. i also put on a pad because i was having some light spotting, which my obgyn had warned could be daily for up to six months.

when i woke up that evening the cramping was over. by this morning i'm no longer spotting. everything is good in my uterus and there will be no babies for seven years. hurrah.

6 Comments:

Blogger Azuzil said...

Yeah! to the no babies :)
Congratz and welcome to the infertile club for 7 years or so at least.

Are you still starting school in the fall in Houston?

5/26/2005 2:43 PM  
Blogger DementedPhotographer said...

Seven years??? Wow. Cool.

-G

5/26/2005 3:53 PM  
Blogger Librarian Babe said...

Glad to hear you're ok. I have a question (not sure you'll have the answer but perhaps the question came up sometime during your research): since the strings of the IUD hang out through the cervix, is there a problem with using the Keeper with an IUD? (as the Keeper causes some suction while in the vagina) Could the IUD pull out? Just curious as I can't use hormonal birth control (due to high blood pressure) and someday Harry and I would like to stop using condoms (this is a few years down the road more than likely!) but still have contraception...

5/26/2005 10:56 PM  
Blogger mainja said...

when i started looking into getting an iud i was stunned by how little people knew about it.

i talked to my doctor, told her the research i'd done and why i wanted one and she said that even though they're usually only given to women who have already had a baby she was satisfied that we'd exhausted other options (trying to get away from chemical, so it would be the non-hormonal iud) and that i knew what i was getting into.

she said she hadn't done an insertion in a long time so she refered me to a gynocologist, where i was told to call as soon as i got my period. then i didn't get my period for a year. *sigh*

now i've decided ah, what the hell, we'll just keep using condoms, i mean, we've been doing it for the last 10 years, why change now. ;)

5/27/2005 7:53 AM  
Blogger Josh Jasper said...

My fiance has one. She cramped for about a week. On the plus side, she's had no cramps since, and no measurable periods.

5/27/2005 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane, why'd you have such a hard time? My wife says her hospital prescribes them all the time. Were they resistant because you have not had a baby?

Thomas

5/27/2005 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home