Thursday, January 20, 2005

kinky knitter

Amongst other things, I am an avid knitter. I have made two and a half blankets, eight or nine bags, and dozens of hats and scarves (no sweaters yet, although I did knit an oven mitt once).

When I was a student at NYU, I only belonged to two clubs: the knitting club and the bdsm club. And their meetings were held on the same night. Consequently, I would be sprinting up and down the stairs with sharp objects every Thursday evening. I tried to organize joint events (as there were quite a few knitters in the bdsm crowd, and a number of kinksters, in and out of the closet, amongst the knitters) but never got it together.

A recent acquisition to my cluttered schedule has been the monthly dyke knitting circle at bluestockings books (http://www.bluestockings.com/). The third Sunday of the month, I spend my late afternoon knitting in the company of lovely ladies. Before I leave, I am sure to stock up on books for the next month (I heart seal press’s “live girls” series, and have been on an autobiographical sex-themed memoir kick as of late). Then I stop by toys in babeland (www.babeland.com) on my way back to the subway. Once I get home I am refreshed and rejuvenated. Consequently, Sunday evenings have become increasingly productive.

One of the nice things about the group is that it is not a huge investment of time or energy or cash ($5 suggested donation) and no one rags on you if you can’t come or show up late or haven’t touched your scarf since the last meeting. Also, it is not a large investment of self. It’s a casual atmosphere. Almost everyone is an acquaintance, with a few close friends scattered throughout. Consequently, I’m not entirely “out” to the group (nor do I think I need to be). Occasionally we’ll discuss sex ed or gender politics or things of that nature, but the personal is rarely addressed. We discuss childhood pets, but not former lovers. And although I feel comfortable talking about my office job, I’m not about to announce my whore status.

Not to say it isn’t tempting. Or complicated. The coordinator of the group inquired if my name was jane or ___. “Your email says jane but you always sign ___. I’m always afraid to call you by the wrong name.” I explained that jane is a pseudonym I use for various purposes and that I respond to either name. She didn’t pry further. However, will she make the link to the voice article? And will there be a reaction? We shall see.

2 Comments:

Blogger Garrison Steelle said...

Oh, wow. You know, that would make SUCH an incredible photo series ... all the ladies around knitting, conversing, being ... intermixed with 'personal' shots modeling their craft ... ohhhh ... that would make SUCH a great project!

-G

1/20/2005 10:22 PM  
Blogger Dacia said...

Look what I found! http://darksideofknitting.blogspot.com/

You should be friends and stuff!

1/22/2005 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home